Visitors

Flag Counter

Sunday, December 5, 2010

How to double your space

Today, Craig came over to see my layout first hand. After seeing his layout it really inspired me to get away from that flat plywood look. Pondering in the shed on what to do, I noticed my shelving which is 40cm under my layout which is where I store my wagons, I arrived to the idea of using this area as staging! This would free-up valuable space on the otherside of 'Myrtle' rather than be full of track and parked 'staged' wagons. Problem was how to get to the normal layout height from 40 cms below. This would required at least a 4% grade!

Craig suggested to take a T class and create a 4% grade. To my surprise, the T started to wheel-slip with about 10 wagons and a 'good' load on the short track we mocked up. Then it hit me - why don't I use the space under the whole layout and gradually climb the 40cms - this would reduce my gradient to about 2% and under, as well as give me extra mainline running ! So this is the current plan, to use the space under the main board to stage as well as climb to the top of the layout. Off course, this means the lawn-mover will need to have the handles put down and me bending over alot lower to enter and exit the shed. Well let's see how this turns out....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive