Visitors

Flag Counter

Monday, December 26, 2011

Point Activation using Dowels and Eye Screws

The last two days time was spent working on activating the points which lead to the departure tracks using the dowel method shown to me by another VR modeler. The procedure requires 6mm dowel from Bunnings, piano wire about 1mm thick, some eye screws - get the bronze ones if your layout is outdoors like in a shed/garage, and your basic tools such as power drill, drill bits, wire cutter, and junior saw / hack saw. See attached photos on how I did this. The major benefits are that it is very cheap compared to a servo or tortoise machine and it works really well. Not shown in the photos are the steps where I drilled a 1mm hole into the dowel then aligned the point and threaded the piano wire through the point and dowel. This was the most difficult part.
Bye now.

3 comments:

  1. I also use push-rods to operate turnouts, but I incorporate a slide switch which I use to power the turnout frog. You can see how I do it on my blog at:
    http://gulflines.blogspot.com.au/p/turnout-pushrods.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Shelton, all my points/turnouts are operated manually. I use aluminium tubes and music wire ending in little knobs on the fascia.
    It works a treat... Walter.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive