Some sound suggestions from fellow VR modeller Anthony has got me back on the layout with renewed interest! One suggestion was to have the main line on the far side of the operator. By just making this change, the approach looks so much better. Anthony was also kind enough to drop in and discuss layout modifications. Another excellent suggestion was to have the industries, which are located on the "wings", to come off road 2, hence not fouling the main line, just like VR prototype practice.
And a final suggestion was to go back to having a continuous run, which facilitates having only one staging yard, rather than two. This also enables me to run trains continuously whilst I am doing odd jobs or when visitors come over.
Yesterday I purchased another 1200 x 600 x 12mm ply which will be used for a lift out section as I dislike bending all the time to get into the layout. Will need to work on this another time.
So the layout now looks like this:
Layout dropped back to four roads from five, with the main line on the far side.
Goods Shed road nearest to the operator
I like the space between the running lines and the secondary lines
Station long enough to hold four pass cars and a B Class loco
This road leads to the cattle siding, from road 2.
The peninsula - another industry can be modelled here.
Staging on the opposite side
Approach to town, with an industry on the left.
Approach signal and industry on the right
I really want to add some greenery and vertical structures, like a station building to make things look less flat. Hopefully this will be achieved in 2014.
Shelton,
ReplyDeleteLooking very good! Thanks for the kind words, I really was just "playing" with what you had already. Looking forward to your progress ...