Having visited the Brisbane Model Train Show recently, it got me thinking about my own layout and more so the short comings. In summary, it boils down to trying to do too much is the space I have.
IMHO, the biggest contributor to a realistic model train layout is the scenery. Without realistic scenery, my model layout is simply a trainset.
So, with this mind, I decided to once again change the layout!
Now, I learnt by looking at various signal and track diagrams, real railroads use *alot* of space and that 100 meters in real life is about 100 cms in HO scale. So I have decided to expand No1 and No2 roads so that when a long train comes into a stop for a cross, the tail of the train is not just fitting in, but has some space at the end just like in the prototype. Also, if I want to double head or even triple head now I can with luxury and not worry about the ass end fitting into the loop.
Now to me a long train is about 14 VLX Box cars - which looks pretty long anyway. This is the maximum length train I intend to run - (about 200cms long)
So, gone are the foreground tracks on the plan and if I want to just watch trains go by I still have a loop - this will only happen when I am not playing realistically - such as to a timetable.
So some of the lessons learnt
* 100 cms is about 100 meters in real life which is approx 7.5 VLX wagons (40foot wagons)
* Don't lay down too much track
* Scenery is a must have - including structures
* Think big (track plan wise e.g. for loop, and yards - 100 cm crossing loops won't cut it)
* Focus on one area and do it thoroughly
* No point repeating what's already modeled in one scene again - e.g. on the plan I had a station at opposite ends - maybe better to have a country scene at one end and an immediate station scene at the other.
Anyway, unfortunately I learnt the hard way.
Your thoughts are welcome.
Good luck!
No comments:
Post a Comment