I have decided to re-orient the layout. I wasn't very happy with the fact that the yard tracks had those curves since most yards are straight. I have kept to the original track plan, only making changes where necessary. The track-plan has moved 90 Degrees to the left.
This has also being made possible due to the building of a 2.4m x 60cm staging area when my dad was up. I decided to build this to avoid the hot summer sun hitting the rolling-stock when the shed door was open. This has helped alleviate the problem.
The changes have brought some additional benefits.
I now have staging on both sides of the layout so it is possible to run the "Overland" when Anthony comes over for a running session next time. This also enables me to run a "Jet" if the Overland is not run.
The only curved yard tracks are now on Sidings C and D and the silo road and the head shunts on either end.
I still have a road for the loco depot which leads to staging.
The cattle siding has moved to be on the Eastern (Melbourne) side of the layout.
I can now have a proper Goods Shed with enough space at the edge to create some depth immediately across from the station.
I ensured that the yard tracks and Road 2 is long as possible. I used curved turn-outs to achieve this.
The station is now straight rather than being curved. At 200 scale metres, it seems to look pretty good (the prototype was 242 metres).
Yes, there are draw backs to the changes. The incline out of the station area has gone so this reduces modelling scenery to a large extent, although this looked really nice.
No changes have been made to the operating timetable that Anthony and I used on the first operating session.
Last week, Craig was kind enough to let me borrow his 200mm G Clamp. This enabled me to cut straight the 100mm diameter PVC pipe which will eventually become a VR Silo. The G Clamp made all the difference from a straight cut to one that was uneven. I used a hack-saw to do the job.
Shelton,
ReplyDeleteI'm intrigued ... an interesting move, one I look forward to seeing ...
I'm also intrigued, Shelton. Do you have any photos, and/or a track diagram?
ReplyDeleteRegards,
Ron