Not having a static grass applicator and the wish to have tall grass I got thinking on how best to model tall grass. Since the season of the layout will be late summer, I want to model a dry summers environment.
I had some branch netting which I bought many moons ago and thought of the idea of making tall grass and securing this to fly netting. I think it looks pretty good although it took me a very long time to individually plant the grass into the mesh. Each mat took me about six hours to do.
I ran out of the branch netting but luckly I had some jute and proceeded to make grass from the jute. Now I have ran out of jute so tall grass making has stopped for now.
I haven't permanently secured the mat to the benchwork as yet.
What do you guys think? Is it too long or does it not look any good?
I had some branch netting which I bought many moons ago and thought of the idea of making tall grass and securing this to fly netting. I think it looks pretty good although it took me a very long time to individually plant the grass into the mesh. Each mat took me about six hours to do.
I ran out of the branch netting but luckly I had some jute and proceeded to make grass from the jute. Now I have ran out of jute so tall grass making has stopped for now.
I haven't permanently secured the mat to the benchwork as yet.
What do you guys think? Is it too long or does it not look any good?
Dear Sheldon
ReplyDeleteIt looks like a small paddock of the grass phalaris the cattle love it it can grow up to 1m-2m if left alone. ex farmer.
narimga Malcolm Aldridge.
Thanks Malcolm, that's exactly the look I am after - wild tall grass!
ReplyDeleteSheldon, how did you go about planting the grass? is it just pushed through the mesh or did you use a tool? An option to add variety would be to colour the ends of the grass or randomly cut grass different lengths. I did a similar approach with rope to represent long grass along the model of my previous layout based on fictitious branchline in the southern mallee. Labour intensive but a good representation of long grass.
ReplyDeleteHi Greg
ReplyDeleteYes, I just pushed them through the mesh by first curling them up fine enough to push through the mesh. Yes, I need to cut them back a bit to give them different heights. As you say it seems to do the job but it is time consuming and labour intensive.
Regards
Shelton